Saturday, December 15, 2007

Baby names, apropos of nothing in particular

I wonder what it means that the last time I made a list like this it was much more rife with unpronounceable Polish on the one hand, and unabashed hippiness on the other. I hope it's that I have developed more respect for the plight of my theoretical future children on the schoolyard and not that I have sold out and become boring in my old age.

In any event, here is the list of names I would actually consider bestowing as of today, girls kinda sorta in general order of predilection, boys alphabetically:

Girls

Eleanor (Ella)
Zoe
Isabel (Izzie or Bella)
Alexis (Lexie)
Imogene (Idgie)
Matilda (Tillie)
Bree

Boys

Aidan
Asher
Ethan
Ewan
Ian
Jesse
Jonas
Linus
Miles/Milo
Noah
Robin

For some reason it's much, much easier for me to think of girls' names that I like than boys' -- and I'm not quite sure why this should be. Maybe it's that, being a straight male, I've spent more time considering the aesthetics of girls' names? I'd be interested to hear about other folks' experience with this, and also your lists, if you have them.

By the way, I'm sort of embarrassed to have included Aidan in the above, considering its appalling trendiness at the moment. I'm afraid I have to say I just really do like that name for a little boy, and in my defense I did first hear it attached to an adult and not a toddler.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Baby names? You do know that, on average, a child costs $276,000 over 18 years? That's quite a mortgage.

Unknown said...

Too many of your baby names are trendy. Just FYI.